A Statement of Solidarity from the Clergy of Congregation Emanu-El, San Francisco
The ongoing racism and violence facing Asian American and Pacific Islander communities is an affront to Jewish values and a desecration of God’s creation. A central value that the story of Passover teaches us is the value of human dignity and it is our obligation as a Jewish community to uphold the dignity of all people and to actively oppose racism.
Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders are members of our congregation and work on our staff. We are blessed to live in a city with one of the largest AAPI populations in the country. Congregation Emanu-El stands with our AAPI families, and with our AAPI neighbors and fellow Americans. We pray that our community will always be a sukat shalom, a shelter of peace, for all people.
The Torah commands us to “not hate your brothers and sisters” (Lev. 19) but rather we are obligated to be voices of love and builders of justice. We join AAPI Jews and all AAPI communities in demanding action, as we also express our grief for victims of racist violence in the Bay Area, Atlanta, and elsewhere.
We encourage our members to take action to help stop violence against AAPI communities. Below is a list of organizations that you can donate to or volunteer with and help support AAPI communities, as well as links to learn more.
- Lunar: The Asian Jewish Film Project
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice- Asian Law Caucus: Donate | Volunteer
- San Francisco Chinatown Progressives: Donate | Volunteer
- San Francisco Chinatown Community Development Center: Donate | Volunteer
- Asian Health Services: Donate
- Red Canary Song, a collective of Asian and migrant sex workers
- Read stories of AAPI Hate
- Learn about Asian American history
- Report a hate incident at Stop AAPI Hate
- Take a bystander intervention training
2:00 pm - 12:00 pm | After a year away, we are excited to kick…
6:00 pm - 7:00 pm | Join us for In-Person Friday Night Shabbat Service this…
9:15 am - 10:15 am | Torah Study with Rabbi Sarah Parris, followed by Mourner's…