Communications & Marketing Director
San Francisco, CA 94118
About Congregation Emanu-El and the Communications and Marketing Department
Congregation Emanu-El believes that Judaism guides us on our journey to be better people, create a stronger community, and repair the world. Synagogues are central to that journey. The largest congregation in Northern California, Emanu-El is in strong financial health, with a membership of over 2,200 families. This strength has allowed Emanu-El to innovate and grow throughout its history. All Congregational Engagement and Membership Division staff are emissaries of EE’s mission to create vibrant forms of Judaism and a shared sense of meaning, working together to make Emanu-El a welcoming Jewish home for every member of our community. The engagement and membership staff are responsible for working with our members and congregants throughout their Jewish journey by providing relevant programs and shared experiences and fostering a strong personal connection to the Emanu-El community. They are also responsible for bringing innovation to Emanu-El, helping to keep our organization relevant now and in the future.
As the Communications and Marketing Director, you are responsible for crafting and telling Emanu-El’s story to people who are already connected to the synagogue and to those who are not, drawing them closer into our community. This position acts throughout the organization, working with clergy, staff and lay leaders as an expert leader and advisor, collaborative partner and educator – directing and shepherding Emanu-El’s brand within and outside the congregation’s community and asserting priorities and decisions.
Candidate Characteristics and Experience
We are seeking a candidate with a passion for marketing and communications, with a team-oriented philosophy, project management skills, and an ability to work well with a broad range of constituencies. The successful candidate should demonstrate the ability and experience to:
- Act as Emanu-El’s standard-bearer, resource and guide for the organization’s brand, and ensure that its vision and values are expressed
- Be the chief editor and curator of Emanu-El content, with excellent oral and written communication skills
- Provide direction and strategy for all Emanu-El communications and marketing, including print and online publications, use of video and audio content, web-based and social media channels, email applications, marketing and promotional materials and initiatives, and public/media relations
- Ensure meticulous attention to detail and accuracy in all department work product
- Work closely with Emanu-El clergy, program directors and lay leaders to develop and implement annual marketing plans for each program and department
- Be aware of everything that’s going on at Emanu-El and understand the organizational priorities and context
- Collaborate with clergy to understand Emanu-El’s spiritual and programmatic needs and ensure recognition and visibility for Emanu-El in regional and national conversation
- Oversee the production of print and online publications, web-based and social media channels, and marketing and promotional materials
- Develop and manage budgets
- Ensure that the Communications and Marketing Department is using the most effective technical tools, software, and systems and that the department staff maintains sufficient skills as the tools evolve
- Proficiently use Microsoft Office 365, Salesforce, Marketing Cloud (or other marketing automation system like Pardot), WordPress, and, ideally, Salesforce/WordPress integration
- Work alongside and supervise communications and marketing staff
Competitive salary and benefits, including health, dental, vision and life insurance, flexible benefits plan and 403b employer match.
Send resume, work samples and salary requirements to [email protected]
5:45 pm - 6:00 pm | Young Adult Candle LightingMay 14, 5:45 - 6:00 pmLet’s…
6:00 pm - 6:45 pm | Shabbat service led by Rabbi Ryan Bauer and Cantor…
9:15 am - 10:15 am | Torah Study with Rabbi Jonathan Singer, followed by Mourner's…