Germany Close Up
A letter from Rabbi Jason Rodich:
Dear Emanu-El Young Adult Community,
I am so excited to be reaching out to you with the great news that the Emanu-El Young Adult Community is going to be an official partner of Germany Close Up in November of this year! This means that 25 young adults from our community will travel together for a highly subsidized eight day experience in Germany and we’re hoping you will apply to be one of them.
Established in 2007, Germany Close Up – American Jews Meet Modern Germany is an initiative created to enrich transatlantic dialogue and provide North American Jews in their twenties and thirties with an opportunity to visit modern Germany.
A generous scholarship from the German government covers most costs, which leaves a total participation fee of $890 per person. This fee includes airfare, hotels, tours, events and most meals on an 8 day trip to Germany.
The trip is designed to expose us to a range of aspects that make up modern Germany, with both the past and present in focus. Our trip will cover issues related to Germany’s efforts to deal with the Holocaust, as well as Germany’s transformation into a modern and democratic country in the heart of the European Union, home to the third-fastest growing Jewish community worldwide.
Our eight day program, November 5-12, 2017, will expose us to Berlin’s multicultural life, allow us to visit sites such as a former concentration camp, memorials and museums in Berlin, and to experience other key historical sites and cultural venues. We will meet with German thought leaders, representatives of grassroots movements and the Jewish community, as well as young adult Germans. In other words, we will have experiences that are both intensive and serious, as well as fun, educational, and exciting.
We have space for 25 young adult (aged 21-39 at time of the trip) members of Emanu-El to join us. If you are not yet a member of Emanu-El, please contact us to learn about joining. Please consider applying for this trip. Having been a participant on this trip as a rabbinical student, I can tell you personally that this was a truly wonderful and transformative experience.
- The firm deadline for applications is May 28th, 2017.
- In addition to the trip, the following will be required of all participants:
- Attend two pre-trip sessions at Emanu-El (exact dates TBD, but likely to be 10/22 and 10/29)
- Complete reading assignment in advance that will help us frame group discussions while in Germany
- Attend one post-trip debrief session.
- Applicants will be selected by Germany Close Up in consultation with Emanu-El
- The policy of Germany Close Up is that each applicant needs to be 21-39 years old, Jewish (according to the Reform movement) & a citizen or permanent resident of the United States or Canada. We love and adore all of our members, including those who don’t fit this criteria. This policy is set by the funders in Germany and is not flexible.
- You will see that one reference letter is required by Germany Close Up. This letter cannot come from any clergy or staff of Emanu-El (we are automatically considered your primary reference). The letter can be simple and should speak to, among other things, your ability to grow and learn from this experience and to be a positive contributor to a group dynamic.
- We anticipate having very limited scholarships available for those with the greatest need. If you think you will need this, apply for the trip now, and upon acceptance we’ll discuss.
- You will be able to arrive earlier and stay later, within certain parameters, if you desire, and the program will cover your hotel stay for up to 2 nights in advance so that you can avoid traveling on Shabbat. Be sure to pay close attention to the flight reimbursement policy of Germany Close Up, and do not book a flight without a green light from them and us.
- Please contact me (email@example.com) and Rachel Schonwetter (firstname.lastname@example.org ) with any questions (please email both of us at the same time).
TO LEARN MORE AND APPLY
- Applications are sent directly to Germany Close Up and all instructions are at the link below. Please reach out to us at Emanu-El with any questions before reaching out to Germany Close Up.
- In addition to sending your materials to Germany Close Up,please send a copy of your application to Rachel Schonwetter at Emanu-El. (email@example.com).
All my best,
Rabbi Jason Rodich
7:00 pm - 9:00 pm | Film Screening of Germans and Jews: history is the…
9:00 am - 11:00 am | Do you enjoy cooking? Participate in this mitzvah led…
6:15 pm - 7:30 pm | Please join us for one hour after work as…