High Holy Days 2021: Details and COVID Updates
August 19, 2021
We are all looking forward to being together again this year for the High Holy Days — whether indoor, outdoor or in person. As we carefully monitor the current COVID situation, we want to update you on some important changes to our service and program schedule. We have also changed our protocols for participation and registration. With a robust variety of services planned at the synagogue, outdoors and online, we want to provide a meaningful and safe experience that allows you to connect with your community. If you plan to attend any of our in-person offerings, we ask that you follow these policies and procedures, which will be updated to reflect the most current best practices.
Please carefully review the important details below. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact our High Holy Day office at [email protected] or 415.751.2541 x138.
Thank you again for your flexibility as we navigate these unprecedented times. All of us at Emanu-El wish you a safe and healthy New Year, filled with sweetness, prosperity and joy.
Emanu-El Staff and Clergy
Primary Services and Outdoor Family Services
After careful deliberation, we have reduced the number of indoor in-person High Holy Day offerings. As a result, we will have only one indoor primary service in the Main Sanctuary each day instead of two, with many additional outdoor and online options. For Kol Nidre, there will be two services in the Main Sanctuary, combining the musical styles we have come to know and love. Both Kol Nidre services are identical musically and in every other way, including the sermons. Of course, there are many other services and learning activities such as:
- Child-centered outdoor services for families with children who are not yet eligible for vaccination, which will enable whole-family worship in Presidio National Park
- Special Tashlich service and festive concert at Baker Beach
- Meditation and Healing in the Redwoods
- Learning sessions with Rabbis Kushner, Parris and Pearce, which have been moved to Zoom
- Teen-Led Services occurring in person in the Main Sanctuary. Members can bring non-member guests, but preregistration is required.
Please note that advance registration is required for each event at www.hhd.emanuelsf.org.
Registration and Tickets
- Registration is required for each service or program in advance, including outdoor experiences, via the High Holy Day website: www.hhd.emanuelsf.org.
- There are no paper tickets this year, unless requested. Your email confirmation upon registration will serve as your ticket for entry and will include important COVID-19 safety protocols which must be followed.
- We are limiting the number of non-member guests to close relatives or friends of our congregants. We also have limited reciprocity. All guests must abide by our latest COVID protocols. To request guest tickets or reciprocity, contact Ariana Estoque at [email protected] or at 415-750-7552.
Other Important Health and Safety Information
- Consistent with city, state, CDC and other public health authority guidance, COVID-19 vaccines are the most important and effective tool in preventing COVID-19 disease, especially severe illness and death. We strongly encourage that all who are eligible be vaccinated.
- As we enter the High Holy Day season, to attend our indoor services and events, you must be fully vaccinated, and we do require you to certify that you are fully vaccinated through our online registration form.
- For those ineligible for vaccination, we require proof upon entry of a negative PCR test, taken within 72 hours prior to the service.
- Current Members (dues renewed for 2022) can obtain indoor seating in our historic Main Sanctuary. Indoor seating capacity is reduced to allow for social distancing. While children are welcome inside the synagogue, only children who have been tested and can be masked for the duration of the service can attend indoor services.
10:00 am - 11:00 am | Join Rabbi Sarah Joselow Parris and Jonathan Bayer for…
10:00 am - 11:30 am | Join us in-person for Opening The Gates: Yom Kippur…
12:00 pm - 1:00 pm | Learning Session with Taube Scholar and Senior Rabbi Emeritus…