People Operations Manager
Position Title: People Operations Manager (POps)
Reports to: Director of Business Operations
Dotted Line Reporting to: Chief Financial and Administrative Officer
Status: Full Time, non-exempt
Last Updated: September 2021
Who We Are (Organization Overview & Vision):
Congregation Emanu-El is the fifth largest Jewish Reform congregation in the United States, with 2100+ households, and is the oldest Jewish congregation west of the Mississippi. Officially established in 1850, and located in a landmark temple in San Francisco, Emanu-El serves as a foundation of community life for Jews and non-Jews, for members and non-members, with innovative programs in worship, community and education that span the cycles and events of life.
At Congregation Emanu-El, we believe that Judaism guides us on our journey to be better people, create stronger community, and repair the world.
The POPS Manager will run the daily functions of the People Operations department including hiring and onboarding staff, benefits, and leave, and enforcing organization policies and practices.
Your Role as Coach (Supervisory Responsibilities):
- Oversee the scheduling, assignments, and daily workflow of subordinate staff in the department.
- Conducts performance evaluations that are timely and constructive.
- Directly supervises Office Coordinator.
How You’ll Contribute (Duties/Responsibilities):
- Employee Life Cycle
- In conjunction with Director of Business Operations, develop and implement an organization-wide employee onboarding/offboarding process.
- Support recruitment and interviews, and facilitate the hiring of qualified job applicants for open positions; collaborate with departmental heads to understand skills and competencies required for openings.
- Conduct or acquire background checks and employee eligibility verifications.
- Handle employment-related inquiries from applicants, employees, and managers, referring complex and/or sensitive matters to the CFAO.
- Perform tasks required to administer and execute human resource programs including but not limited to benefits, leaves of absence, disciplinary matters; performance and talent management; productivity, recognition, and morale; occupational health and safety; and training and development.
- Review, track, and document compliance with mandatory and non-mandatory training, federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, professional development, and work assessments. This may include safety training, anti-harassment training, professional licensure, and aptitude exams and certifications.
- Liase with managers and technology department to support training in specific areas.
- Provide support and guidance to management staff as appropriate.
- Building Project Relocation (planning and implementation)
- Assist CFAO & building operations teams in all aspects of planning for and executing the temporary relocation of personnel and programming during construction phase of building remodel.
- Employee Engagement & Recognition
- Maintain knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law in conjunction with General Counsel.
- Develop and maintain positive employee relations strategies, programs, and retention initiatives that foster and promote a culture of excellence.
- Establish and maintain measurement standards to provide meaningful information that will guide continual improvement and further increase employee engagement, satisfaction and retention, make recommendations to leadership based on results.
- Support design and administration components for employee engagement surveys.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Who You Are (Required Skills/Abilities):
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
- Successful track record of building strong company culture including diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Strong understanding of the interviewing process, benefits administration, and other operation functions.
- Brings knowledge of operations components of employee lifecycle touchpoints, specifically onboarding and offboarding.
- Ability to partner cross-functionally understanding various team needs as they pertain to People Operations.
- Is comfortable working with data, acquiring data from multiple sources, carrying out data analysis, and communicating data findings.
- Identifies and creates processes, optimizes efficient workflows, and focuses on automation to reduce manual work where possible.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate.
- Thorough knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations, experience with California is a bonus.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Proficiency with or the ability to quickly learn the organization’s HRIS and talent management systems.
Must Haves (Qualifications):
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or related field required.
- 4+ years of professional human resource administration preferred OR its equivalent through training, education, and other experience.
- PHR or SHRM certification is a plus.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
- Must be able to access various departments of a given location.
1:00 pm - 3:00 pm | Do Good, Feel GoodOctober - November Want to give back?…
6:30 pm - 7:30 pm | Event Signup
8:00 am - 8:15 am | We are offering a weekly morning minyan for our…