Eimatai: If Not Now, When?
Disruptive Judaism for Future Leaders
The Matzger Young Leadership Initiative
Congregation Emanu-El seeks to nurture and support the development of a small (20 participants), highly motivated and committed cohort of young adult future Jewish leaders in San Francisco to meet once per month to engage in intensive & deep Jewish learning.
The “ask” of our participants:
- Engage in serious Jewish learning. No prereqs–we will meet you where you are at.
- Attend an opening retreat February 17th-19th 2017.
- Attend 11 monthly learning sessions, the first Wednesday evening per month, starting in March 2017 from 6 to 9pm at Emanu-El with Rabbis Rodich, Mintz and guest teachers (delicious dinner included!).
- Be open to personal growth in the context of a community of learning.
- The actual cost to Emanu-El per participant is $1,100. Participants will be asked to contribute between $360-$1,800 based on their ability to pay. Nobody will be turned away due to lack of ability to pay.
The investment that we will make in our participants:
- Serious, intentional and planned Jewish learning. We’re getting real and deep. For real. Emanu-El clergy and other local scholars will work with Eimatai to significantly broaden and deepen Jewish knowledge and ability to access our tradition.
- We will get past “Judaism 101” and participants will be able to articulate for themselves what the core principles are of their own Jewish religious practice and how this practice will inform future communal leadership.
- We are committed to you taking ownership of our tradition and supporting you as you develop your own Jewish practice and vision for your Jewish life. Claim it, it’s yours.
What we plan to do with our time:
Note: This is a work in progress. Topics and teachers may shift as we progress.
Eimatai :If Not Now, When?| Disruptive Judaism for Future Leaders
The Matzger Young Leadership Initiative
Session 1: Opening Shabbaton: Together, With Love, We can Change The World: Jewish Learning as a Counter-Cultural Rebellion
Walker Creek Ranch, Petaluma, CA, February 17th-19th 2017
- Group building, shabbat services, meals, hikes and most of all, deep and real learning
- Unlocking the Rabbis’ Attic: Passing on the keys to Jewish Literacy
Session 2: TZURIS SESSION ONE: The Temple is Burning! Rabbi Benay Lappe’s Crash Theory & The Rise and Fall of the Jewish Institutions That We Will Inherit
Sessions 3 & 4: We Were Slaves to Pharaoh in Egypt: Internalizing the Memory of the Jewish People
Session 5: God of My Ancestors! Thinking God, Jewishly
Session 6: Open Up my Lips and Let Me Pray: T’Fillah or How to Confront the Universe With all of Your Love and Rage
Session 7: TZURIS SESSION TWO: An Endless Hell: The Israeli & Palestinian Conflict
Session 8: Olam Chesed Yibaneh, Building a World of Loving Kindness: Jewish Social Justice
Session 9: TZURIS SESSION THREE: Living in a Post-Pew America: Re-Imagining Our Response to the Perceived Jewish Demographic Crisis
Session 10: The Revolution will Not Be Translated: The Svara Approach to Talmud
Session 11: Turn it and Turn it Again, for Everything is Within In: Telling My Jewish Story and Welding it Permanently onto our Chain of Tradition
Additional sessions may be added as opportunities and interests arise.
We are interested in creating a highly diverse and committed cohort of about 20 people!
-Jason Friend and Benji Friend, Co-chairs
-Rabbi Sydney Mintz and Rabbi Jason Rodich, Roshei Yeshiva (your Torah-loving teachers)
The deadline to apply was December 31, 2016. In person or phone meetings will be conducted during the first two weeks of January.
Questions about future sessions? Contact Rachel Schonwetter ar email@example.com.
7:00 pm - 9:00 pm | Film Screening of Germans and Jews: history is the…
9:00 am - 11:00 am | Do you enjoy cooking? Participate in this mitzvah led…
6:15 pm - 7:30 pm | Please join us for one hour after work as…